Friday, December 9, 2011

Like a Phoenix!

The Phoenix

Like a Phoenix, my music computer rises from the ashes of its destruction. Or maybe a bit more slowly, like Lazarus.

Anyways, it died a few days back, but I replaced all its innards and now it's running. In fact, it's running much better than before. It should. It has a much faster processor, more RAM, a bigger hard drive and it's running Windows 7 rather than XP. Those are a lot of changes for the better.

The tricky part is re-installing everything. Some things are easier than others. Some are more worthwhile than others. Some probably won't run at all any more. I know of one at least that requires a special key from a server that no longer exists. Let that be a lesson to you: crappy copy protection hurts paying customers.

I'm going to write about this experience, in part because I just want to remember a few things if I need to handle some of the companies that make the software.

The Hardware

It was obvious that some piece of the hardware was failing, but I didn't know which part. It didn't take me long to realize, though, that it didn't matter. The computer was old enough that almost everything should be replaced. There's no point in - as I've stated in similar situations - putting a spoiler on a Pinto. The only things I retained are the case (which is still a popular one) and one of the hard drives.

Motherboard: P8Z68-V/GEN3
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB SATA2

It's been a long time since I've played around with computer innards. It's an awful lot easier now than it used to be! In just a few hours I removed the old stuff, added the new stuff, and installed the new OS. Installing the old sound card was also very quick and easy. All I had to do after that was start installing music software!

The Software

0. Tracktion

Piece of cake! I may have to spend a little while making some tweaks to get it exactly how I like it, but it seems good to go. One small issue (which has nothing to do with the software) is that I'm no longer the "owner" of the data drive and it's a strange method to take back ownership so I'm actually allowed to save changes that I make!

1. XLN Audio

The new website and the new authorization method works awesome. I love it. Simple, fast an effective. Remind me to buy more of their stuff. Scratch that. I don't need a reminder. Addictive Drums is probably my favourite VST, anyways. I'm always wanting to get more of their drum kits.

2. db-audioware

Website's a bit finicky, but in the end I got new authorizations for Vocal Intensifier and Flying Haggis. I don't hardly use them, but I do want them around.

3. GForce

I've got M-Tron, three tape banks, M-Tron Pro and the Chambertron sound library. I started trying to install from the start and gave up. M-Tron installed, but wouldn't work properly. The first tape bank crashed. But... I don't even know if I need it. Does M-Tron Pro include all of what I had, anyways? I can't find the answer to that question on the website. I'll need to send them a message to find out... Message sent. Let's see what kind of response I get. I'm hoping that M-Tron Pro covers it all and I can put the original in its hallowed place on the shelf.

[A few days later: M-Tron Pro covers it all. No need to try to install the original version.]

4. Native Instruments

I have so much of their stuff that I've bought over the years that I have no idea how much of it I want to install... or if I even can install all of it that I want. I just tried to start with Komplete 2, but it uses an old method for authorizing that pretty obviously doesn't work any more. It tells you that it's going to send you to the website to get an authorization key, but it skips the website - just asks for the key file you must have downloaded from the aether. Hmm... Next step is to run the shiny new Service Center software that manages authorizations. Will it work? Let's find out...

[Later...] Woo hoo! They have an excellent instruction set for it. Worked like a charm. Now I just find myself wondering what was in Komplete 1 (which I never owned). So many products in Komplete 2 are first versions...

The End...?

There's a lot more than just this, but I don't want to blog it all. Suffice it to say that things are now running quite well. I was able to record some of Suzy's singing the other day. I've installed many more things, including some things new to me. This is a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment