Saturday, October 31, 2009

Various napaJapan Link Image Sizes...

The time has come to make link images. I had made one, but wasn't very happy with it. Also, considering the variety of blog designs out there, I figured it's best to be flexible. One size does not fit all. So, I scanned a few blogs to see what sizes their columns were. Most are around 220 or so. Some are smaller - about 150.




The teeny tiny size: 120x60. I noticed quite a few blogs have images this size. I don't know why; they don't match up with any design I've ever seen. They're usually something like Facebook or Digg; a clean design with a simple (and very recognizable) logo. The napaJapan logo, as much as I like it, doesn't fit into something like that... Unless I make an alternate clean version with minimal colours. Hmm... Well, not today.

Not too tall, but nice and wide: 220x60. This way you can stick it into your non-body column (usually on the right) and it won't dominate. I think this is a nice size, even if you can't put much in it.

I saw this size in quite a few blogs out there: 150x200. It's not as wide as some others, but it makes up for it vertically. I'm not sure if I managed to use the space effectively on this one. It doesn't look very balanced. I don't think it will matter any time soon, though, since this one is the most obviously advert-y. Maybe in a while we'll really put some effort into advertising and by then I'll have come up with something better.

I like this one the best: 215x125. I shortened it horizontally a little (from 220) just in case. It might be put into columns that are 220 wide, but I thought it would be safer to trim off a few pixels and make it able to fit into more widths. I'm not sure if I should go for the square look for the products or the floating look. The floating look is perhaps a bit nicer, and it emphasizes the fact that these are products. But it's much harder to see what they are, especially for bento products.

And that's my first real attempt to make link images that fit nicely into blogs. I should be making these for Yusuke, too.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the masked product version with J-san displaying with open arms. Nice red color too.

    ReplyDelete